Thursday, October 6, 2011

God Lovers! week one

Welcome to the first week of God-Lovers! Maybe you were here last week for the first post or maybe you weren't, but sit back, maybe scroll down to the bottom to turn on some of the music I've got, and get ready to read. :) If you were able to fit in your chapters for this week, good for you, if you didn't, it's totally fine. You don't have to know everything that you learned from these chapters for these posts.

I told you last week that I would tell you which chapter I liked the most from that week and have some questions for you to answer. You can comment below with your answers to the questions or you can keep them private and scribble them out in a journal if you like. Do what's most comfortable for you. :) So, the chapter that stuck out most to me was Proverbs 4.

Above all else, guard you heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.
[Proverbs 4:23]
This week has been a week of emotion in my mind and heart. I struggle a lot with trust - which means I struggle a lot with guarding my heart.
Who\what to let in,
who\what to take out,
and who\what to stay away from.
And when I can't guard my heart it doesn't do any good for my "wellspring of life." Instead of making "my frown turn upside down", it stays where it is. Everything goes down hill instead back up. My emotions is an ongoing elevator. Up, down, up, down. Most of the time, I'm in between.
I've let a lot of people, things, and thoughts into my heart. I've let them tell me who I am and what I'm going to become. And in the end, I end up back at Level One - the bottom of the elevator. That's when my thoughts start to clog and I get depressed. That's where the feelings in my heart start to come out and start to really ache.
It's when I feel really empty, alone, hollow. Like no one is there. Almost as if I yell into myself and no one calls back, just my echo.

The picture above is me.
That's been my heart.
That's been my thoughts.
That's been me.

Not a very happy picture, is it?

Let your eyes look straight ahead,
fix your gaze directly before you.
Make level paths for your feet
and take only the ways that are firm.
Do not swerve to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.
[Proverbs 4: 25-27]

I don't know what's going to happen to me two weeks or two years from now. I don't know what will happen tomorrow or in a month.
I only know what has happened.
And it's my choice if I want it to keep dragging me down.
Or if I want it to help pick me up.
Because who I was yesterday was what made me who I am today.
And what I am today will make who I am tomorrow.
So I'm keeping my gaze fixed on Jesus. I've tried it my way by letting things into my heart that I thought would convince me I'm pretty, good enough, or better than somebody else. I've had my way and it didn't work. I'm letting what I've held onto, go, and grabbing onto what will always hold me.
Jesus.
Even though guarding my heart and cleaning out my mind is a daily battle, I can make me into a better person as long as what I'm keeping in me is what
Jesus says is good.
I can renew my "wellspring of life" with Jesus. I can guard my heart when Jesus holds the key to it. I can keep on going in life, down that road, even when the path doesn't seem to have an end. I'll hold onto the trust in my heart.
Questions:
What verses\chapters stuck out to you in these past few chapters?
Do you have a hard time with trust? Why?
What have you let be #1 in you heart? Was it good to let in? Why?
Continue reading Proverbs 6 today and Proverbs 7 tomorrow. Here is next weeks schedule:
Saturday: October 8th, Read Proverbs 8
Sunday: October 9th, Read Proverbs 9
Monday: October 10th, Read Proverbs 10
Tuesday: October 11th, Read Proverbs 11
Wednesday:October 12th, Read Proverbs 12
Thursday: October 13th, Read Proverbs 13
Friday: October 14th, Read Proverbs 14
See you next Thursday, God-Lovers! :)
lots of hugs, emma

3 comments:

  1. Okay here are some of the verses that stuck out to me : (Sorry I read the NLT version so it might be slightly different)
    "They keep you safe on you way and your feet will not stumble. You can go to bed without fear; you will lie down and sleep soundly. You need not to be afraid of sudden disaster or the destruction that comes upon the wicked, for the Lord i your security. He will keep your foot from being caught in a trap."
    Proverbs 3: 23-26
    "My child, pay attention to what I say. Listen carefully to my words. Don't lose sight of them. Let them penetrate deep into your heart, for they bring life to those who find them, and healing to their whole body. Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life."
    Proverbs 4: 20-23
    These verses stuck out to me because, well what I love about Proverbs is that it talks about wisdom. And from what I've read in these pasts chapters, wisdom must mean a lot!! So it keeps talking about "take my words to heart" and "follow my commands", but when I think about it, I ask myself what are His commands? Ya know? (I don't know if I'm making any sense right now :P) But, I think the first step to being wise is to surround ourselves with good influences and people who are kind of on the same page as us, if you know what I mean. :) "Guard our heart". Well, how can we guard our heart? To follow His word! :) And to not let certain people stomp all over our hearts. Wait, I might be going into relationships here. Oops! Okay back to the Holy WORD!! :) But, going onto the second question, do you have a hard time with trust? Honestly I have no idea! And the third! Hm, what have I let into my heart? You know I was thinking about this one thing about how I memorize a song but not scripture? Like I can remember a really fun and crazy rap part in a song within like two days of me listening to the song non stop! :) But, why don't I choose to memorize scripture?! So, I think my biggest challenge for me is learning to be "not of this world" and to not go by the ways of this earth (not disobeying laws or anything! I don't want to get arrested!) but to go by God's way of living. And to stay away from certain things that our world now focuses on. Like, songs for example. A lot of songs nowadays revolve around drugs or "other things" and it's like should we really be listening to this stuff? Even if it's the catchiest song ever!? Maybe that's what satan's doing! (Light bulb!) So I've got a lot of things to sort out too, so you're not alone. :) Okay, I go off topic SO much! And I just noticed that! LOL! Well I hoped this helped somebody! Well it sure helped me! Okay this is getting really long! Bye bye!
    ~I
    P.S. I can't believe you bought something from pink lemonade! SO AWESOME! You go girl! :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I just realized how much I wrote! WOAH! :) Sorry you have to read all that! :) LOL!
    ~I

    ReplyDelete
  3. **Came to the Rescue by Hillsong United**
    Beautiful song and I recommend it for everyone! :) <3 PEACE!
    ~I
    P.S. :-{] <== Mustache Man!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Each and every one of them are read and are stared at for hours (I love them that much, yes). If you have a question, feel free to leave it here & I'll answer it as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...